Wednesday, March 28, 2007

I am Hunter, hear me ROAR!

The first fifteen months of my life have been anything but what you'd expect from a growing little boy, so before we get you to what's going on right now with me, how about a brief recap:


I was born the day I was due on a chilly morning in Decemeber at 6 pounds and 6 ounces, and right away began to cause problems because of my eating. The nurses accused my mother of not accurately recording my feedings because I had lost a little more weight than they thought I should have. Little did they know. After a short five weeks of life, I began to reject every form of food offered to me. It started with the breast and ended six months later on a day I ate less than five ounces of formula and no other baby food. That was when someone finally got a clue. Nine days in a hospital and the diagnosis of GERD, an extreme case of the silent form. The meds came then (Prilosec, Zantac, and Reglan) and after several days on a feeding tube, they yanked the tube from my nose and let me eat from a bottle.

Since then, I have been through several eating regimens (various formulas, Pediasure, and ultimately Nutren Jr.) and have settled down to a baby calorie shake of sorts. Mom and Dad have become quite adept at mixing just about everything I need to survive into the smallest amount of liquid possible so that I eat it all. Ya see, I still don't eat much (on average 10 to 12 ounces of liquid food a day: 700 to 850 calories), but I am growing, slowly (on good days I weigh as much as 21 pounds, but dropping just below 20 pounds on rough days). I eat in a chair, three times a day, watching one of a multitude of Baby Einstein videos and absolutely refuse to hold my own bottle.

A few months ago I ended up back in the hospital for two and a half days when I came down with a stomach flu that kept me from keeping even the tiniest amounts of food in me. That was rough. Both Mom and Dad have been very careful to keep me healthy, but lately, that has been a chore.

So, that brings us current. Now you know the history. Let's get to me right now.

Wednesday March 28th, 2007

I still won't eat solid foods, although I did eat four, that's right, 4, Cheetos just the other day. I think my mother might have shed a tear or two she was so proud of me. I'll eat Cheerios every now and then, and yogurt (the Yoplait Thick and Creamy), but I mostly just stick to the bottle feedings, to which Mom and Dad have most recently been adding various fruit mixtures, my most favorite being the Apples and Cherries.

I've finally kicked my latest cold (the fourth or fifth one I 've had in as many months) which ended in a nasty cough. I ran my head into the leg of one of the dining room chairs the other day and threw up a few hours later, don't know if it was because of the lump on my head or because of the sickness, but Dad stayed home with me because Mom was already at work. It was a little bit of a stressful night. I seem to hit my head a lot. Don't know what that is all about. Mom and Dad joke about getting me a helmet.

I also have a babysitter now. Olivia. She's a professional kid-watcher, but I'm only there once every other week or so for a couple of hours, so I hardly consider myself a regular. My first experience was a bit rough, don't know how I felt about it, but I know I didn't like watching the other kids leave before me. Today is my second time there. Although I don't know what to make of this whole thing yet, it's important for Mom and Dad, so I'll give it another shot (not that I have much say in the matter at this point).

Still on my regular meds (Prilosec, Zantac, and Reglan), but have several doctor's appointments coming up to re-evaluate my progress: 15 Month with Dr. Sultan (my Pedi), Consult with Dr. Finley (my Pedi GI), and a Consult with Marjorie Palmer M.A., LSP (my Pedi Feeding Speciailist). I will also be meeting with my Pediatric Neurologist sometime in the near future as well.

GERD friends: Bailey. OTHER BUDDIES: Hayley and Hannah (my cousins, twins!). I seem to know a lot of girls. Not sure what that is all about. But my two older brothers, Ethan and Caleb (also twins!) keep me grounded in boy things, so I think I'll be okay. And my Dad has provided an assortment of Star Wars Galactic Heros to play with as well.

So long for now.

No comments: